[gambit-list] swank-gambit backend for SLIME

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Wed Feb 10 14:53:08 EST 2010

On Jan 16, 2010, at 1:54 PM, James Long wrote:
> Marc and I have started work on adding support for Gambit to SLIME
> (http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/).  We basically need to
> implement a fully functioning server (called a "swank" server) in
> Gambit to support all of the SLIME protocol.
>
> Marc wrote the initial draft and I have fleshed it out.  Basic support
> for a SLIME repl and debugging is available.  You can get the project
> here:
>
> http://github.com/jlongster/swank-gambit
>
> I think it'd be great if everyone worked on this together.  There are
> many more commands that need to be implemented (completions, better
> debugging, etc.) and if we could get this fully implemented, it would
> be a huge benefit for Gambit.  SLIME is really an incredible
> development environment and I think a lot more people would choose
> Gambit with SLIME support.
>
> Please let me know if you want to start hacking on this with us!

I am implementing a Gambit counterpart to the swank-rpc module that I recently added to the Common Lisp swank server of the SLIME project. This module provides a symmetric RPC layer to pass remote calls and responses between lisp systems, implementing the foundation for the swank protocol.

One of my main reasons for advocating the addition of a swank-rpc module in Slime/Swank was to facilitate alternative swank servers such as swank-gambit. The module includes a validating reader that defines the syntax of the swank RPC protocol.

PS: I am using the swank-gambit server itself when implementing the swank-rpc.scm module, hooked up with MCLIDE as swank client / development environment!

-- Terje Norderhaug
    terje at in-progress.com