[gambit-list] Compiling and Using Gambit for/on the iPhone update

James Long longster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 17:23:57 EST 2010

Hello everyone,

I wrote an article about writing iPhone apps in Scheme about 8 months ago here:

http://jlongster.com/blog/2009/06/17/write-apps-iphone-scheme/

If any of you all are using this, I wanted to update you.  That
information is getting a little old.  I have created a page on my site
which I will be continually updating with information on how to setup
development for the iPhone with Gambit.  You can find it here:

http://jlongster.com/software/iphone/scheme-iphone-example/

The biggest change is that it's much easier to compile Gambit for the
iPhone now.  I have create a script called `configure-iphone` which
wraps around "./configure" and sets up all the build options for the
iPhone appropriately (link with right SDK, cross-compile possibly).
More information about this script can be found here:

http://jlongster.com/software/iphone/configure-iphone/

I will be posting more and more libraries which you will need if you
are doing OpenGL programming on the iPhone.  So far, here's what is
available:

Touch and accelerometer events:
http://jlongster.com/blog/2009/07/20/touch-accelerometer-functionality-iphone/
Remote debugging:
http://jlongster.com/blog/2009/07/05/remotely-debugging-iphone-scheme/
Font rendering with FTGLES: http://jlongster.com/blog/2010/02/08/fonts-ugh/

FTGLES is my most recent work, and you can find Scheme bindings in the
above article which I just posted.  I will put up my .obj loader soon
and any other libraries I have developed in Gambit.

I'm not really trying to plug my website, but I really want other
people to do developing OpenGL games in Gambit, and the iPhone is a
good place to start!  Let me know if you have any questions are
opinions!  Thanks!

- James