[gambit-list] Bug (?) with BlackHole and append!

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Aug 6 13:09:28 EDT 2010

This is not a problem with blackhole.  Your program contains an error because it is trying to mutate a constant.  In Scheme, quoted objects are not mutable and it is an error to mutate them.  The interpreter does not enforce this error because it implements constants using mutable objects.  The compiler implements constants using "permanent objects" which cannot be mutated (they are not scanned by the garbage collector).

You could fix your program by doing

(define a (list 3 2 4 2))

instead of

(define a '(3 2 4 2))