[gambit-list] ReĄG Regarding garbage collection

Adrien Piérard pierarda at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Sep 9 00:14:09 EDT 2009

2009/9/9 peter lo <peter19852001 at yahoo.com.hk>:
> As for the possibility of memory leaks, this puzzles me. In a language with garbage collection, what does it mean to have memory leaks?

We'd need a bit more informations about your code, but "in a language
that you can interface with C libraries, some allocations are not done
by the GC".
So, if you happen to allocate in a C library, there might be your leak.

Is your project 100% Scheme code? Do you use any extra code, such as
OpenGL, a SQL ?
Is it portable to Linux/BSD/MacOS? Does the heap overflow subsist there?

Can you reduce your problematic code to approximatively less than 50
lines and post it here so that others can try to reproduce it?

Cheers,

P!

--
Français, English, 日本語, 한국어