[gambit-list] High-performance compiler options

Andrew Reilly andrew-scheme at areilly.bpc-users.org
Fri Oct 9 23:22:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 03:33:35PM +0000, Alex Queiroz wrote:
>      1411 MFLOPS seems a lot but I am no expert. Does anybody can say
> how many MFLOPS a current 3D real-time game needs?

As many as you've got, essentially.  I think that they mostly
scale the game dynamically, to absorb what's available, either
in terms of detail (how much is visible at once) and frame rate.
The latest NVidia and ADI (AMD) graphics cards can do on the
order of 1TFLOP (that's 1000 Gigaflops), which they use for
physics modelling as well as polygon and texture rendering.
Compare that to about 100 Gigaflops available on the latest
Intel Nahelem cores[1].  The Cell processor in a Playstation3
gets about 150GFLOPs.  One of the fastest floating point DSPs,
the TMS320C672B-350 manages about 700MFLOP/s.

Unfortunately, most of those flops aren't easily tapped for
doing useful things like big FFTs or solving matrix equations...
Not easy to get at from scheme, either, I would think (but would
love to be shown that I'm wrong!)

Cheers,

--
Andrew