[gambit-list] Returning struct as a value

Julian Scheid julians37 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 9 06:23:54 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have the following two functions for converting a pointer to some
struct Foo into the "value" struct Foo:

(define value-Foo-1
  (c-lambda ((pointer (struct "Foo"))) (struct "Foo")
#<<c-lambda-end
void* mem = malloc(sizeof(Foo));
new (mem) Foo(*___arg1);
___result_voidstar = mem;
c-lambda-end
))

(define value-Foo-2
  (c-lambda ((pointer (struct "Foo"))) (struct "Foo")
    "___result = *___arg1;"))

(value-Foo-1) works and (value-Foo-2) crashes. Is this expected?

If so, is there a more elegant way to express the code of value-Foo-1?

Also: is it OK to use malloc here or am I supposed to use ___alloc_rc
or ___C_ASSIGN_NEW ?

Do I have to worry about providing code for releasing the memory allocated?

Finally, I am curious whether there is any difference internally
between the handling of (struct "Foo") and (type "Foo"), or is this
just naming for the sake of clarity?