[gambit-list] Viewing CPS expansion?

D.McClain dbm at asyrmatos.com
Fri May 22 11:07:26 EDT 2009

I have speculated for some time now too, after experiments with CPS
based compilers on a number of occasions, that the slowdown must be
due to two things:

1. All functions are now forced to accommodate the continuation
parameter, whereas before a large majority of functions where niladic
or unary operations,

2. The creation of the continuation arguments requires the production
of a closure, which is inherently somewhat expensive.

My own work has consistently shown a 30% slowdown, independent of
actual language of implementation -- be it Scheme, Lisp, or OCaml.

Dr. David McClain
Sr. VP, Embedded Systems
Asyrmatos Inc.
Boston & Tucson