[gambit-list] Can't load a given object file more than once

Eduardo Cavazos wayo.cavazos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 01:35:44 EDT 2009

Hello,

This is not actually that big a deal. But, let's say I compile a file:

> (compile-file "/tmp/test-gambit-compiler/test-a.scm")
#t

Then load the resulting object file:

> (load "/tmp/test-gambit-compiler/test-a")
"/tmp/test-gambit-compiler/test-a.o1"

OK, I wanna recompile it, but not have a bunch of old versions laying
around. So delete the o1 file:

> (delete-file "/tmp/test-gambit-compiler/test-a.o1")

And recompile:

> (compile-file "/tmp/test-gambit-compiler/test-a.scm")
#t

An error occurs if you try to load the new object file:

> (load "/tmp/test-gambit-compiler/test-a")
*** ERROR IN (console)@5.1 -- Can't load a given object file more than once
(load "/tmp/test-gambit-compiler/test-a")
1>

Sure, I understand that Gambit is preventing a reload of the exact same
object file. But it must be doing a very simple accounting based on the
name of the object file. Perhaps you can employ that newfangled
high-performance file digest code that was recently shared. ;-)

Anywho, no big deal. But it's a surprise.

Ed