[gambit-list] cons wm

Eduardo Cavazos wayo.cavazos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 01:07:08 EST 2009

Eduardo Cavazos wrote:

> Er... I don't wanna mislead anyone so let me clarify.
>
> I took a closer look at the code in 'dwm.c'. A straight port using
> R5RS+xlib would probably take longer than a weekend. :-)
>
> In order to do it in a weekend (Hmmm.... call it wm48? :-)) you'd need
> some facilities in Scheme (perhaps some macros, an object system, or
> both) to conveniently express alot of the terse idioms of C.

OK. I like to put my hack where my mouth is so, behold, Cons WM :

     http://proteus.freeshell.org/cons-wm-2009-03-02.png

Not much to look at eh? :-)

The source:

     http://proteus.freeshell.org/_cons-wm-a.scm

It's running in Ypsilon. The code is loosely modeled on DWM. Currently
clocking in at 370 lines. Lot's of low hanging fruit... Currently a fun
proof of concept. It shows that with the right abstractions, you can
port an Xlib program like dwm to Scheme and not have the code blow up
too much.

"cons wm" because it's simple like a cons cell. ;-)

Ed