[gambit-list] The future of Gambit

Christian Jaeger christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Wed Jan 14 16:34:49 EST 2009

David Rush wrote:
> 2009/1/14 Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca>:
>
>> One thing that might also help is to have one or more experimental
>> branches on the source code repository in addition to the master
>> branch.  The experimental branches would be under the control of
>> individuals or groups of developers with a specific interest.  When a
>> feature has matured on an experimental branch it could be merged with
>> the master branch.
>>

> Pardon me if I am being thick here, but isn't that the point of using
> a distributed SCM like Git or (as formerly) Mercurial? Every checkout
> is a branch...

I think the point is that Marc is encouraging others to go ahead and
work on and publish their own branches.

Of course if nobody else knows enough about the internals to do any
work, this won't happen, that's the point Brad is making.

I think we're aware of this situation. Some development is happening
covertly, maybe for historic, maybe for cultural (academic environment)
reasons, maybe it would be good to make this more open so that others
are getting more chance for learning; but as I mentioned previously,
systems which are being developped fully openly may gain much momentum
but need not become more useful in the end. So I'm going to shut up and
contribute.

Christian.