[gambit-list] gambit introspection

Jose A. Ortega Ruiz jao at gnu.org
Tue Feb 17 20:14:18 EST 2009

hi,

i'm working in a scheme-emacs interaction environment providing a subset
of the capabilities present in slime. although i'm using guile as the
initially supported scheme, the framework is generic on the emacs side
and it shouldn't be difficult to add support for other schemes. i'd like
to add gambit to the party, but i'm having a hard time finding
procedures to obtain metadata about objects living in a running
interpreter instance. so far, i've only found ##procedure-locat. in
addition, it'd be nice to have:

 - general location info (the equivalent of ##procedure-locat for macros
   and variables)
 - a way of getting all defined bindings starting with a prefix (gsi's
   REPL does this, but i haven't found how)
 - a way of getting the arity and parameter names for procedures and
   macros
 - a way of getting a procedure's callers and callees
 - macroexpand: i see there's a family of ##macro-* procedures, but i'm
   not sure how to use them
 - metadata associated with namespaces
 - any other metadata associated with objects that could be used in an
   inspector

although i haven't had the time, i'm sure gambit.el will give me enough
clues to interact with the debugger. documentation-wise, my framework
knows how to use info docs, so, as long as there're no plans to phase
out texinfo as one of gambit's documentation formats, i'm ok on that
front too.

my apologies if this information is already available somewhere: i'll
appreciate it if you send me RTFM with accompanying pointers.

thanks a lot for your time.

cheers,
jao