[gambit-list] scheme on llvm

lowly coder lowlycoder at huoyanjinjing.com
Sun Feb 15 00:47:28 EST 2009

this is kinda off topic, -- but people here seem really smart, so I'll risk
the occasional flames for good criticism + insight

i think the llvm/jvm projects are really cool, since so much work is put
into jitting; and for one reason or another, I like llvm more than jvm

i'm curious about the possiblity of a high performance scheme (and perhaps
gambit in particular) running on llvm; where the 'initial implementation'
may not be all that fast ... but letting llvm jit it away

how does this sound? feasible for a scheme (but not gambit)? down the pipes
planned for gambit? or totally stupid/crazy?

the 'main' advantage of this approach is that I _assume_ that the llvm guys
are pretty good at hacking up interpreters / jit's ... so why not benefit
from their constant progress :-D