[gambit-list] Help system

Pavel Dudrenov dudrenov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 18:03:50 EST 2009

So I tried the new help procedure but I cant get it to work. Here is
my session tryouts:

pavel at dudrenov:~/junk/gambc-v4_4_1$ /usr/local/Gambit-C/bin/gsi
Gambit v4.4.1

> (help table->list)
[: 73: ==: unexpected operator
*** WARNING -- unsupported operation: help
*** ERROR IN (console)@1.1 -- failed to display the document "help"
"table->list" "" "Definition_of_table-%3Elist"
1> (help 'table->list)
[: 73: ==: unexpected operator
*** WARNING -- unsupported operation: help
*** ERROR IN (console)@2.1 -- failed to display the document "help"
"table->list" "" "Definition_of_table-%3Elist"
2> ,h
2>
1>
> ,?
,?              : Summary of comma commands
,h   | ,(h X)   : Help on procedure of last error or procedure/macro named X
,q              : Terminate the process
,qt             : Terminate the current thread
,t              : Jump to toplevel REPL
,d              : Jump to enclosing REPL
,c   | ,(c X)   : Continue the computation with stepping off
,s   | ,(s X)   : Continue the computation with stepping on (step)
,l   | ,(l X)   : Continue the computation with stepping on (leap)
,<n>            : Move to particular frame (<n> >= 0)
,+   | ,-       : Move to next or previous frame of continuation
,y              : Display one-line summary of current frame
,i              : Display procedure attached to current frame
,b   | ,(b X)   : Display backtrace of current continuation or X (cont/thread)
,be  | ,(be X)  : Like ,b and ,(b X) but also display environment
,bed | ,(bed X) : Like ,be and ,(be X) but also display dynamic environment
,e   | ,(e X)   : Display environment of current frame or X (proc/cont/thread)
,ed  | ,(ed X)  : Like ,e and ,(e X) but also display dynamic environment
,st  | ,(st X)  : Display current thread group, or X (thread/thread group)
,(v X)          : Start a REPL visiting X (proc/cont/thread)
> ,(h define-macro)
[: 73: ==: unexpected operator
*** WARNING -- unsupported operation: help
*** ERROR -- failed to display the document "help" "define-macro" ""
"Definition_of_define-macro"
> (help-browser firefox-bin)
*** ERROR IN (console)@6.15 -- Unbound variable: firefox-bin
1> (help-browser 'firefox-bin)
*** ERROR IN ##make-parameter -- (Argument 1) STRING expected
(help-browser 'firefox-bin)
2> (help-browser "firefox-bin")
2>
1>
> ,(h define-macro)
[: 73: ==: unexpected operator
*** WARNING -- unsupported operation: help
*** ERROR -- failed to display the document "help" "define-macro"
"firefox-bin" "Definition_of_define-macro"
> (help-browser "firefox")
> ,(h define-macro)
[: 73: ==: unexpected operator
*** WARNING -- unsupported operation: help
*** ERROR -- failed to display the document "help" "define-macro"
"firefox" "Definition_of_define-macro"
> ,(h time)
[: 73: ==: unexpected operator
*** WARNING -- unsupported operation: help
*** ERROR -- failed to display the document "help" "time" "firefox"
"Definition_of_time"
*** ERROR IN (console)@13.7 -- Macro name can't be used as a variable: time
*** ERROR IN (console)@14.1 -- failed to display the document "help"
"time" "firefox" "Definition_of_time"
1>
> (help gensym)
[: 73: ==: unexpected operator
*** WARNING -- unsupported operation: help
*** ERROR IN (console)@15.1 -- failed to display the document "help"
"gensym" "firefox" "Definition_of_gensym"
1>

Any idea what I'm messing up?

Pavel