[gambit-list] man _gambit func_

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Feb 10 12:39:07 EST 2009

On 10-Feb-09, at 11:43 AM, Ben Goetter wrote:

> Ramil Farkhshatov wrote:
>> Displaying documentation in browser is NOT scheme implementation
>> work at all. It's
>> IDE's work. Autocompletion, history, syntax highlighting is NOT
>> repl work. It's
>> responsibility of IDE.
>>
> Au contraire.  The REPL is a development environment.

You beat me to it!  Yes the REPL is an IDE.  That's one of Lisp's and
Scheme's fundamental principles.  Of course it is not a full-feature
IDE like Jedi, but still you can get a whole lot of work done at the
REPL.  So even though a full-feature IDE will have a documentation
browser, with obviously many fancy features for browsing
documentation, there is also a need for the REPL to access the
documentation.  What is important is that hooks in the REPL
implementation are available to integrate with the full-feature IDE if/
when there is one.