[gambit-list] Suggestion for a new GCC compiler option

Alex Queiroz asandroq at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:58:24 EDT 2009

Hallo,

On 8/25/09, Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu> wrote:

>  So I'm asking that people might run the benchmark suite on various
>  architectures after configuring gambit with, e.g.,
>
>  ./configure CC="gcc -fschedule-insns" --enable-single-host
>
>  and compare the result to those without adding -fschedule-insns to
>  the command line.  I suspect that for both ppc(64) and x86-64 there
>  could be noticeable speedup, but I'm not sure what will happen with
>  arm or some of the other architectures that Gambit might run on.

     I did not recompile Gambit-C but built a module of mine with and
without this option. This module implements searching in game trees
and uses only fixnum arithmetic. I did got better execution times with
this option. This is on SPARC with GCC 2.95 (!!!) and:

 -Wno-unused -O1 -fschedule-insns -fschedule-insns2
-fno-strict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -fno-common   -shared

Cheers,
--
-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/