[gambit-list] Video game written in Gambit

James Long longster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 00:14:38 EDT 2009

Marc Feeley wrote:
> Of course the best situation would be to have a real-time garbage
> collector, but QuantZ shows that it is not necessary for a real-time
> game if you are careful how much and when you allocate.

I second this.  I've been developing 3d, rather intensive, iPhone games
with Gambit Scheme.  I've had no problem getting them to run smoothly
with a simple call to ##gc every frame.  Sometimes it requires a little
more work of minimizing allocations, but that usually is part of the
profiling process anyway.

I used to really fear the GC, to the point where I didn't even want to
invest the time making a game to see how it would be.  But it's totally
workable.

- James