[gambit-list] Video game written in Gambit

David St-Hilaire sthilaid at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Aug 13 13:56:13 EDT 2009

Adrien Piérard wrote:
> 2009/8/14 David St-Hilaire <sthilaid at iro.umontreal.ca>:
>
>> Hehe, I wouldn't count on that... But, some might be interested to know
>> that Guillaume and I are pushing our bosses to get the chance to also
>> make a linux release. But there is nothing done toward this so far. ;)
>>

> Did you work on that game?
> I'd be interested in getting the names of the people behind this game
> (at least the coders), if this isn't covered by any NDA…

Well this game was developed by Robert Lizee and designed by Martin
Lizee. Guillaume Germain and I both joined/created the dev team in May.
There is also a summer student working with us. I mostly worked on the
internationalization of the game and Guillaume on refactoring the build
system. We also both debugged and fixed problems until the final release
was made.

You might also be interested in trying to switch the langage to Japanese
;). I also implemented a kana input manager, but I'm not sure if it was
removed from the final build at the last minute or not...

Working for this game was a lot of fun! I am looking forward for our
next release for the iPhone! :)
> Also, remember that you don't have to give access to the source code
> for free either.
> A licence like the GPL says roughly that "you can sell sell the source
> for at most the price of the binaries".
> So, given that the game (which is not GPL, I know), sells for a cheap
> price, the source could be sold too.
>
> Say: "binary, CAD 12.99", "source: CAD 30", "pack binary+source: CAD 50".
> And with a proper licence on the source (which would be mostly "no
> forking of the game" [1]), that could do some extra revenue.
>
> What do you think of that ?

I can't answer this question without my lawyer... hehe

David