[gambit-list] Running times: real vs. CPU

Taylor Venable taylor at metasyntax.net
Sat Apr 25 21:58:39 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 09:17:01PM -0400, Jeremie Lasalle Ratelle wrote:
> You need to compile a dynamic module like this
>
> $ gsc 092.scm
>
> That will give you 092.o1
> This invokes the gsc-cc-o.bat script which calls gcc with the correct
> arguments. For example, you weren't compiling your module in
> single-host mode as single-host is a preprocessor flag.

Even doing that method though, the real-to-CPU time ratio is the same:

 475 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~/cvs_public/Programs/Euler/Scheme > gsc 092.scm
 476 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~/cvs_public/Programs/Euler/Scheme > time gsi 092.o1

SOLUTION = 8581147

real    0m43.636s
user    0m18.000s
sys     0m7.270s

Or when using -D___SINGLE_HOST with GCC:

 478 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~/cvs_public/Programs/Euler/Scheme > cp 092.scm compiled.scm
 479 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~/cvs_public/Programs/Euler/Scheme > gsc -link compiled.scm
 480 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~/cvs_public/Programs/Euler/Scheme > gcc -O2 -D___SINGLE_HOST \
        -I/opt/gambit/include -L/opt/gambit/lib compiled.c compiled_.c -lgambc -lutil -lm
 481 [ taylor @ zeltennia ] : ~/cvs_public/Programs/Euler/Scheme > time ./a.out

SOLUTION = 8581147

real    0m44.409s
user    0m18.460s