[gambit-list] genetic canvas

James Long longster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 13:19:00 EDT 2009

Hey guys,

Have you seen http://rogeralsing.com/2008/12/07/genetic-programming-evolution-of-mona-lisa/
?

I have implemented this genetic algorithm for redrawing images with
polygons in Gambit.  There's still a lot more I want to do with it,
but I'm a bit burned out on it, and I figured I'd open it up to anyone
else who wants to play around with it.

It's on github:

http://github.com/jlongster/genetic-canvas/tree/master

It doesn't solve it quite as well as the original project, but there's
a lot of improvements that can be made, particularly refining the
mutation rates.  I've made a general optimization sweep through the
code and it runs pretty fast, but I'm sure there's more to do there
too.

Here's the solution so far (takes a couple hours):

http://github.com/jlongster/genetic-canvas/blob/3e784bc092a49f5601323e820d61a8d8c0a9f82d/tests/results3.png

- James