[gambit-list] Gambit installer

Christian Jaeger christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Mon Sep 29 17:14:20 EDT 2008

Adrien Pierard wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> With the new version of Gambit, I decided to take some time to fix the installer
> and chose to install gambit in

What exactly is broken with the current installation scheme? (Is it a
problem because some systems don't support symlinks?)

> $prefix/bin/{gsi-$version,gsc-$version}

Where will gsi-script and gsc-script be?

Also, I'm missing where the "gsi" and "gsc" binaries/names will reside.

> $prefix/lib/gambit-c/$version
> $prefix/doc/gambit-c/$version
> $prefix/share/gambit-c/$version
> $prefix/info/gambit-c/$version
> $prefix/include/gambit-c/$version

Why is this better than
/usr/local/Gambit-C/$version/{lib,doc,info,include} ?

> (the hardcoded "gambit-c" couls also be a variable, for those who run only one
> version of gambit and want to install directly into the $prefix subtree.)
>
> This should hopefully allow those who want to run several versions of gambit at
> once to do so (which explains the current behaviour of the installer), and also
> avoid clashes with names already taken by other binaires (such as ghostscript).

Debian does not seem to have a conflict of the gsi and gsc names with
ghostscript

(http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=gsc&mode=exactfilename&suite=testing&arch=any
and
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=gsi&mode=exactfilename&suite=testing&arch=any
don't show ghostscript, only gambc.)

so which OS'es do have one?

> Yet, there's two issues for which I need your advice:
> - Where should I put syntax-case.scm?
> - What happens to the shortcut "~~" in file paths?
>
> ideally, "~~" should be expanded by the binaries into the corresponding path
> (such as $prefix/lib/gambit-c/$version) where everything needed is found, and
> where I plan to put syntax-case.scm

I'm using "~~/lib/_gambit#.scm" and "~~/lib/gambit#.scm" in a number of
places. Also I guess a number of people are using "~~/syntax-case.scm"
currently. If those are to be changed, what are the reasons and aims?

Christian.