[gambit-list] Help With Memory

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Fri Sep 26 11:29:58 EDT 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:

> Another point I want to make is that Cheney on the MTA give you
> "free" call/cc only after paying a premium on other things, namely
> stack-like behaving function calls and tail-calls.  Because typical
> code, and even realistic call/cc intensive code such as a thread
> system, do much more of these other things than calling call/cc, the
> overall performance of the system is suboptimal in general.  With
> the latest set of benchmark results on 51 benchmark programs, in
> "r6rs" mode Chicken is 2.7 times slower than Gambit on average
> (geometric mean).  That's the cost of "free" call/cc.

Marc:

I'd just like to point out here that, as I'm sure you're aware, there
are many different implementation decisions that are made in each of
Chicken and Gambit and it is unlikely that any speed difference
between the two can be attributed to any single design decision.  The
choice of "free" call/cc via Cheney on the MTA may, indeed, be an
implementation choice that affects adversely nearly all other aspects
of an implementation (which I doubt), but that could only be
determined after quite a bit of analysis.

Brad