[gambit-list] Interactive 3D graphics with Gambit-C

David St-Hilaire sthilaid at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Sep 23 14:32:29 EDT 2008

Alex Sandro Queiroz e Silva wrote:
> Hallo,
>
>      I am thinking about doing some basic 3D graphics with Gambit-C.
> Although I am sure code generated by Gambit-C is fast enough[1], I am a
> bit worried about the garbage collector. What's the type of garbage
> collector used by Gambit? If it kicks in during interactive rendering,
> should I expect annoying pauses?

Unfortunately, yes you should expect such problems. If I'm correct, gambit's gc
is a regular stop & copy style collector, which stops the world at each gc. I
think that Marc has changing this to either a generationnal or incremental gc,
which would lead respectively to smaller collection pauses or virtually none
(but maybe with execution speed reduced?).

Still, if you pre-allocate lots of space, gc shouldn't occur too often and you
can always force a gc with (##gc) at opportune moments.

David