[gambit-list] DrScheme and GambitC

William Cook wcook at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 1 16:10:28 EDT 2008

I know its partly a cultural issue. Of course Emacs can be made
to do anything. But whenever i see it, I am reminded of the
VT100 terminals I programmed in the 80s... although I hear that
Emacs has moved away from terminal emulation. As I said, I
don't use Emacs so I cannot evaluate its capabilities.

In any case, what I expect of a debugger:
* stack dump, including
      - source code locations
      - all stack frames
      - variables and values in each frame
      - incremental inspection of values to arbitrary depth
          - including objects and closures
      - update of values
* stepping: step over, step into, step out
* display of status/stack of all threads
* breakpoints (line, conditional, exception)
* expression evaluation, expression watch
* active debugging
     (edit code and automatic continue, without
     having to tell system what definitions to reload)
* remote debugging
* connecting to a running process
* debugging embedded libraries in other applications
Having specifically designed GUI for these capabilities
helps, including icons, tee outlines, filters, etc.

In addition, IDEs usually have
* function/argument completion
* code structure outline
* reformatting code
* semantic search
* refactoring
* etc

Eclipse has built-in support for all these features.
Here are some pictures

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecbug
http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/~dquigley/cse219/index.php?it=eclipse&tt=debug&pf=y

William