[gambit-list] Separating generated files? (Re: Mercurial -> git)

Michael J Gruber git at drmicha.warpmail.net
Wed Oct 15 12:42:31 EDT 2008

Matthieu Moy venit, vidit, dixit 15.10.2008 17:30:
> "Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy" <pclouds at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> The idea of using two separate repositories for source and generated
>> source is interesting. I would like to bring this to git mailing list,
>> they may provide insightul comments for your idea or even other
>> approaches.
>
> I think the first question is: do you (and why) need to use a version
> control system for generated files?

I guess we can take "yes" for granted for the first part ;)
As for the why: In cases like this one it's interesting to compare
(read: diff) the output generated by different versions of the input.

I wonder whether a clever use of "excludes" and GIT_DIR would allow
tracking the different filesets in the same dir, but using different
repos. I'm just afraid it's a fragile setup, in the sense that it relies
on config stuff which is not tracked (and thus not reproduced
automatically on clone).

Michael