[gambit-list] iTunes plugin success.. not so much

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Nov 9 02:05:53 EST 2008

On 8-Nov-08, at 11:38 AM, Neil Baylis wrote:

> Wow, that is very cool. Supposedly, apple prevents gdb from
> attaching to iTunes, so this is an interesting way to make plugins
> easier to debug.
>
> BTW, I tried exiting from one of the popped up REPLs (by typing ctrl-
> d a few times). When I did so, iTunes crashed with a bus error.

This is probably due to how Gambit terminates the currently running
Gambit process.  Because Gambit was designed to be embedded, it does
not call C's "exit" directly.  Instead it raises an exception which
causes the call from C to Scheme to return abnormally.  Normally
Gambit's "main" catches this exception and calls C's "exit".  However
iTunes did not setup an exception handler, so the system crashes.