[gambit-list] What are your experiences of Termite?

François Magnan francois.magnan at licef.ca
Thu May 1 11:56:47 EDT 2008

Hi,

We are using Termite to implement a dataflow/control flow multi-actor
process management system. This is experimental research but with
concrete applications prototypes in the end with a testbed composed of
real end-users. We plan to extend this prototype to an industrial
application during next year.

 From my point of view Termite is very close to be mature enough to be
used in a production environment. We did not try very intensive usage.
We only launch a max a couple of hundreds of processes simultenaously.
What remains to be done is the packaging and some code cleanup I
believe (loading Termite as a module into Gambit is quite tricky for
the moment).

I would say it is a very good candidate for developing a quick
prototype. The rest depends on the load you will assign to it.

For me, going with Erlang is out of question. It would be isolating
the technology inside an uncontrolled environment. In the context of
Gambit and Termite, you produce standard C code in the end. This is
much more interoperable technology than Erlang. It is also much easyer
to change the behavior of the language to adapt it to your custom needs.

If you need something from Erlang just implement it in Scheme! If it
is not fast enough just do the critical part in C.

One last comment, if you want to play with Termite and Gambit with
intensive network access going on. Do it on Linux or on MacOSX. On
WinXP there seem to be some bug locking-up network access. I posted
this to the list a while ago.

I hope it gives you some clues.

Francois Magnan