[gambit-list] BLAS and FFTW3 packages in dumping grounds

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:26:16 EDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Pierre-Alexandre Fournier wrote:
> for those of you interested in numerical analysis, I've added Gambit
> Scheme interfaces to high-performance BLAS and FFTW3 libraries in the
> Dumping Grounds:
> http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/index.php/Dumping_Grounds

Your wrappers look interesting.

IANAL, but your statements that your packages are "in the public
domain" and "are licensed under BSD" are contradictory---the BSD
license assumes that you own the copyright (which you do, because you
wrote the packages), while "public domain" means that the work is no
longer under copyright (perhaps because you disclaimed the copyright
and "released" them into the public domain).

Also, FFTW3 is licensed under the GPL (not even the slightly less
restrictive LGPL), so while each person can use FFTW3 for his or her
own purposes, FFTW3 can be distributed as "part of" a larger work
only if that larger work is itself distributed under the GPL.

I wouldn't like to see this list become a discussion forum for
licenses, but those are two items that struck me about your
announcement.

Brad