[gambit-list] Google Summer of Code

James Long james at coptix.com
Wed Mar 12 11:35:41 EDT 2008

> Christian Jaeger <christian at pflanze.mine.nu> writes:
>

> - study enough Gambit internals in the area of parsing/compilation
> stages, macro expander integration, repl handling, and debugger
> displays, symbol table handling, and possibly more, to be able to adapt
> and integrate any module system work cleanly.
>
> - create a module system that's easy and practical for everyday work,
> meaning highly interactive, and at the same time aiming to enable
> optimizations which can lead to fast code without compromising code
> clarity (like e.g. cross module inlining, and specialization for
> parametrized modules).

I would be very interested in this kind of work, especially studying
Gambit's internals.  It would overlap some with my plans of
prototyping a native threading strategy this summer.

> - experiment also with the practical aspects on the filesystem side
> (filesystem layout, compilation caching strategies, C code compilation /
> some sort of make tools integration (integrate make tool calls into the
> module system and not vice versy!)).

Essentially a build system.  It would be nice to have a build system on
top of a module system.  (I don't think make tool calls should be
integrated with modules, but rather placed on top of.)

> I would be happy if a student or other people would take part in this.
> So I would like to offer to be a mentor. I think we may not get done
> everything of the above during this summer, so if you want to
> participate (or also if you don't) help pick out what you think is
> important.

Count me in.