[gambit-list] Illegal character

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Mon Jun 30 16:29:21 EDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Joel J. Adamson wrote:

> Did you notice anything else amiss with my compilation commands?

If you just want to make a dynamically loadable library, it seems
somewhat perverse to ignore the built-in support for building
dynamically loadable libraries in gsc and not to define a file
"all.scm" that contains simply

(include "file1.scm")
(include "file2.scm")

and then

% gsc
 > (compile-file "all")
 > (load "all")

unless you have a special reason (i.e., you need to link an external
library).  Alternately, you can

% gsc
 > (compile-file "file1")
 > (load "file1")

And if you're using gcc your CCOPTS (a) don't include " -fwrapv -fno-
strict-aliasing", which are needed for correctness and (b) have no
optimization options ("-O1" and a few others are best, not -O2 or -
O3) and no -D___SINGLE_HOST.

All these things are taken care of automatically when use use the
"compile-file" gambit command, or just

% gsc all

or
% gsc file1
% gsc file2

I've seen a number of posts to this mail list where people don't want
to use this built-in machinery for building dynamically loadable
files, but I don't understand why.

Brad