[gambit-list] Patching gambit to fix out of source build

Nathan Thern nthern at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 16:58:05 EDT 2008

Hello Gambit developers-

I have successfully built, packaged and installed gambit on cygwin.
The build system I used - cygport - defaults to an out-of-source
build, which is supported by gambit's configure (or so it claims). It
very quickly became apparent that out-of-source builds are broken, but
I stubbornly patched the makefiles until it worked. What I've got now
is a bit kludged, but should be fairly simple to maintain as long as
the future gambit build system doesn't change drastically.

However, having come this far...
I would be willing to further my work on patching configure.ac and the
makefile.in's so gambit supports out-of-source builds and DESTDIR
style installs. I can test on cygwin, RHEL, debian and solaris. I
figure I'm about 1/3rd of the way there and I don't want to chew up
any more of my time unless you are interested in accepting patches.
Are you?

regards,
Nate T

BTW, I haven't installed mercurial yet, so I haven't looked at the
source repository, only the v4.2.8 release source.