[gambit-list] Illegal character

Joel J. Adamson adamsonj at email.unc.edu
Wed Jul 2 13:35:35 EDT 2008

adamsonj at email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu> writes:
>
>> On Jun 30, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>>
>>> Did you notice anything else amiss with my compilation commands?
>>
>> If you just want to make a dynamically loadable library, it seems
>> somewhat perverse to ignore the built-in support for building
>> dynamically loadable libraries in gsc and not to define a file
>> "all.scm" that contains simply
[...]
>> And if you're using gcc your CCOPTS (a) don't include " -fwrapv -fno-
>> strict-aliasing", which are needed for correctness and (b) have no
>> optimization options ("-O1" and a few others are best, not -O2 or -
>> O3) and no -D___SINGLE_HOST.
>
> Hmmm...good to know.  I thought those would only be needed (because I
> haven't studied gcc enough!) when I was compiling an executable ;)
>
>> I've seen a number of posts to this mail list where people don't want
>> to use this built-in machinery for building dynamically loadable
>> files, but I don't understand why.

Well, I discovered one possible reason: using optimization and all the
options you suggested, compilation takes upwards of five minutes, if it
completes at all, it slows down my entire machine, and half the time I
get a segfault when I load the library.  Removing -O1 and
-D___SINGLE_HOST solves that problem: compilation takes about 30 seconds
with no interruption in responsiveness on my machine.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109