[gambit-list] Gambit on the OLPC

Jeff Read bitwize at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:58:11 EST 2008

Here's how I got gambit working on the OLPC.

As root:
  yum install gcc
  yum install glibc-headers
  yum install make

As user olpc (the user account on the machine):
  curl -O http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.1/source/gambc-v4_1_2.tgz
  tar xvzf gambc-v4_1_2.tgz
  cd gambc-v4_1_2
  ./configure --prefix=/home/olpc/local/Gambit-C
  make
  make install

It really is that simple. This gets you a working Gambit binary that
will run from inside the Terminal activity. It's not yet its own
activity, and so will not run from the Sugar user interface; I think
it's a noble goal to rectify that situation.

The Gambit compiler is not terribly useful, of course, without a C
compiler, which the stock XO lacks, which presents problems of its own
when bundling Gambit as an activity.

--Jeff