[gambit-list] --enable-single-host and --enable-gcc-opts

Joel Borggrén-Franck joel.borggren.franck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 08:51:03 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Alex Queiroz <asandroq at gmail.com> wrote:

>      So the output of gsc will be the same whether it was compiled
>  with these options or not? The only thing it changes is the
>  compilation by GCC, right?

>From the wiki:
"--enable-single-host    compile each Scheme module as a single C function"

to me this implies that the difference is in how gsc generates c-code
from scheme.

>      Besides, if I have a program foo which was compiled using these
>  switches, will it use more RAM during runtime than a version of foo
>  that was compiled without them?

If I understand this correctly executing foo will not require more
memory and it will be faster, but making the executable "foo" from the
scheme file "foo.scm", IE "gsc foo.scm" and "gcc foo.c" will require
more memory, and will also be slower.

But there is the possibility that I confuse things :) please correct
me if I'm wrong.

/Joel