[gambit-list] Qwaq releases Hydra multi-core Squeak VM « The

Blake Winton bwinton at latte.ca
Tue Feb 26 11:15:39 EST 2008

Christian Jaeger wrote:
> Joel Borggrén-Franck wrote:
>> I wouldn't go as far as claiming that Python has failed, rather that
>> the solutions is far from perfect. The Python interpreter suffers from
>> its Global Interpreter Lock that hinders the smooth operation of large
>> amounts of threads.
> How are you going to improve it? What will happen with an
> ever-increasing number of cores?

My understanding (as a long time Python user) is that Python isn't interested in
the billion-threads "solution" to multi-processing, (Guido seems to think, and I
agree with him, that multi-threaded programs are too hard/impossible to get
correct) and would rather see a different "fix" for the problem, whatever that
may be.  Shared-nothing/Multiple-processes seems like a contender.

Later,
Blake.