[gambit-list] Qwaq releases Hydra multi-core Squeak VM « The

Jeff Read bitwize at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 06:37:40 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:39 PM, James Long <longster at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Heh, well, one of my side projects is a high performance graphics
>  engine.  True parallel processing is becoming extremely important;
>  though I'm still not sure of the best way to achieve it.  Using STM
>  can incur high lock contention, but going with the Termite model
>  incurs quite a bit of overhead with serializing/deserializing,
>  copying, and TCP packet construction/destruction.  It's possible you
>  could avoid the TCP overhead for local processes using pipes of some
>  sort.

My library Gamsock was supposed to provide more extensive socket
support for Gambit, including Unix domain sockets, UDP, and IPv6.

Gamsock development is for the time being discontinued because without
proper support from and integration with Gambit's I/O system, things
are getting really ugly really fast.

--Jeff