[gambit-list] Qwaq releases Hydra multi-core Squeak VM « The

Joel Borggrén-Franck joel.borggren.franck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 03:42:01 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Christian Jaeger
<christian at pflanze.mine.nu> wrote:
> James Long wrote:
>
>  BTW both the Perl5.x and Python implementors have tried to make use of
>  pthreads, and I think both have failed at it. Python may have failed
>  more since (if I'm not wrong) their model will scale less, but Perl's
>  model is so slow and memory hungry that I'm never using it.

I wouldn't go as far as claiming that Python has failed, rather that
the solutions is far from perfect. The Python interpreter suffers from
its Global Interpreter Lock that hinders the smooth operation of large
amounts of threads.

Gambits model can be different though. In gambit, in theory, you only
need a fixed amount of pthreds, maybe 1-2 per core, then you multiplex
your gambit processes over the pthreads. I think this is the model the
Erlang VM uses.