[gambit-list] Syntax-case (was: Namespaces)

Joel J. Adamson jadamson at partners.org
Tue Feb 12 10:42:06 EST 2008

Christian Jaeger <christian at pflanze.mine.nu> writes:

> Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>> ... syntax-rules macros
>>

> syntax-rules is incompatible with most Gambit specialities.

Interesting:
* I have had a lot of trouble understanding the pattern language anyway,
and I have a hard time seeing what the advantages of define-syntax over
define-macro anyway.  Any thoughts?
* Can you elaborate on Gambit's specialties that are incompatible with
syntax-rules?

I don't have my heart set on using syntax-rules; I was under the
impression that there is some huge advantage of it since in other
implementations (MzScheme especially) it is used A LOT.

However, last night after figuring out the namespaces thing, I wrote a
syntax-rules macro that looked exactly like I could have written it in
define-macro language instead.  Also after doing a quick find-grep of
the examples and finding no instances of syntax-rules, and many examples
of define-macro, I think I'm alright with using define-macro.

> whole-sourcefile transformers

Can you tell me more about this technique?

Thanks -- this discussion is very helpful,
Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.