[gambit-list] [Fwd: Re: Hello World segfaults on me]

Christian Jaeger christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Sun Feb 3 14:10:38 EST 2008

I wrote:
> It's not byte code, but a shared library.
>
> $ file test.o1
> test.o1: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
> not stripped
> $ file /lib/libc-2.3.2.so
> /lib/libc-2.3.2.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1
> (SYSV), stripped

(Minor addition:

Actually that's a bit of a bad comparison example, since libc.so really
is executable, which is the exception.

Usually shared libraries are not executable directly, and usually also
don't carry the executable bit in their file permissions. Marc, if there
isn't any reason for the executable flag on the Gambit loadable objects,
dropping it may prevent confusion. I actually did wonder when I started
using Gambit why those files are +x, but then just ignored the fact.

Christian.
)