[gambit-list] Speed on XML-parsing

Christian Jaeger christian at pflanze.mine.nu
Sun Aug 17 10:57:14 EDT 2008

Hans Petter Egesund wrote:
>> Yes, bash.
>>
>> I copied the line from Bradleys mail, but I was wondering about the
>> same thing, as well.

Hm that looks like a typo from him. He seems to have redirected to
expansion.scm, so no ! necessary.

Anyway, bash regards ! just as output file in this case, and does call
gsc with both arguments, ssax-sxml and expansion.scm; so if
expansion.scm didn't exist, that should just lead to gsc saying it
failed to open that file, and in any case it should wait until the first
file finished compilation in gcc, so this shouldn't change the outcome.
(You could use the usual tools like top and ps auxwwf to verify that
it's gcc which is swapping.)

But gcc releases vary in the algorithms they use to compile functions,
and since with --single-host Gambit creates one big function, the
required memory is very dependent on those algorithms. Brad already
mentioned that an improvement to a regression in this area is waiting
for release. So you could try different gcc versions, or ask Brad which
version he's using.

Christian.