[gambit-list] What are your experiences of Termite?

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Apr 29 19:58:51 EDT 2008

On 29-Apr-08, at 2:13 PM, Mikael More wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm interested in hearing what uses you and others have had of
> termite, in production as well as experimentally. What is your
> general experience? Is it mature for production use? If not, then
> what needs to be improved? If so, what are the areas that would
> benefit from further development?
>
> By what reasons would you or would you not go with Erlang, or any
> other environment, to fill the same purposes? If any other
> environment, then what environment?

Interesting question!  I'm not aware of "production use" of Termite
but if someone knows please speak up!

I would like to ask you a question... what are you trying to do with
Termite or Erlang, and why do you have a specific interest in Termite?

One of the nice things about Gambit is that it can be used to
implement Termite-like embedded languages relatively easily.  All the
infrastructure is there (networking, object serialization, efficient
threads).  If you want to see how, look at the example in examples/
distr-comp particularly examples/distr-comp/dc.scm .  If that's not
exactly what you want, go ahead and change it.  Try that with Erlang!