[gambit-list] Using mercurial to update Gambit

Joel J. Adamson jadamson at partners.org
Thu Apr 24 13:30:38 EDT 2008

James Long <longster at gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 23, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>
>> On 23-Apr-08, at 4:53 PM, James Long wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to get on the track of updating Gambit with mercurial.
>>> Unfortunately I can't get it to work.
>>
>> My guess is that you did a manual "hg pull" and/or "hg update"
>> *before* doing a "make update".  That's a no-no.  You should only
>> use the "hg" commands if you know what you are doing, otherwise use
>> "make update".  That's the price to pay for automating a complex
>> bootstrap process.  If you are stuck, get the latest release of
>> Gambit, untar, "make", "make bootstrap", and finally "make update".
>> If that doesn't work then there's a bug... please report it.
>
> Yep, I did a manual "hg update", but only because the instructions on
> the page I mentioned are broken.  Here's the steps it outlines:
>
> wget http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.0/source/gambc-v4_0_0.tgz
> tar zxf gambc-v4_0_0.tgz
> mv gambc-v4_0_0 gambit
> cd gambit
> ./configure
> make bootstrap
> hg pull
> make update

Which OS are you using?  I noticed that the uid on the files in the
tarball is 501, and on my system root is 500.  This causes me a few
errors (and more if I'm not paying attention).

> chmod -R root:root .

As long as I take care of that, then

make update
make
make install

does it for me.  Is that the proper sequence?

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.