[gambit-list] Leopard bug causing extremely slow parsing times

James Long longster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 11:48:20 EDT 2007

I recently upgraded from OS X Tiger to Leopard and suddenly Gambit's
"parsing" time has slowed to a crawl (I have confirmed this on another
upgraded machine).  I'm not sure if "parsing" is the correct term.
But any time where Gambit reads a file and parses the code, gsc/gsi
sits there and thrashes the CPU for some time linear to the size of
the program.  It takes 2.54s just to `include` a 300 line file.
Execution speed is not affected.

I tried recompiling Gambit but nothing changed.  I know you can
compile Gambit with --enable-debug and --enable-profile, but I'm not
sure how to debug/profile the system.  I think a `make check` does
some timing checks, but I waited 2 hours for it to get past the first
couple checks (because of the parsing bug) and then gave up.

I wish I could give a better analysis of the problem, but after trying
a couple methods of debugging (dtrace, testing different files, etc.),
I'm not sure what the problem is.  Anyone have Leopard and would be
able to shed some light on this?

Gambit-C v4.0.1, OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

James