[gambit-list] Wiki vandalism

Mario Domenech Goulart mario.goulart at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 12:18:40 EDT 2007

Hi Marc,

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:28:35 -0400 Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> The Gambit wiki has regularly been the target of some random
> vandalism.  Yesterday we hit a new high with over a dozen vandalized
> pages.  I don't know what to think.  Is someone getting any enjoyment
> out of this?  Is it the result of some robot?  In any case I can't
> continue wasting time repairing the vandalism.  Anyone have a
> suggestion on how to deal with this?

We had this problem with the Chicken Wiki (http://chicken.wiki.br) too.
We could get rid of spammer by adopting some simple restrictions:

1. each page has a basic arithmetic question (e.g., 2 + 3) which has to
   be correctly answered before the changes are saved.

2. the index page, which is the main target for spammers, requires
   authentication (user & passwd).

The Chicken Wiki uses Svnwiki (http://wiki.freaks-unidos.net/svnwiki).

>From what we could notice, most (if not all) attacks against the Chicken
Wiki were not result of robots.  They were made by humans.

Best wishes,
Mario