[gambit-list] open-tcp-server MacOSX

François Magnan francois.magnan at licef.teluq.uqam.ca
Mon May 14 15:43:14 EDT 2007

Hi,

I found a strange behavior with open-tcp-server on MacOSX of
GambitC4b20 and GambitC4b22. I was able to isolate the problem up to
this point... Eval the following code

(define (rpc-server-start)
   (let ((rpc-command-queue (open-tcp-server 5000)))
     (thread-start!
      (make-thread
       (lambda ()
         (let loop ()
           (let ((incoming-connection (read rpc-command-queue)))
             (debug "Got connection\n")
             (serve-rpc-command incoming-connection)
             )
           (loop)))))
     rpc-command-queue))

(define (serve-rpc-command incoming-connection)
   (let* ((command (read-line incoming-connection)))
     (display (string-append command "\n") incoming-connection)
     (display "ok!\n\n" incoming-connection)
     (force-output incoming-connection)
     (close-port incoming-connection)))

(define (main)
   (rpc-server-start)
   (loop-indefinitely)
   )

(define (loop-indefinitely)
   (thread-sleep! 1)
   (loop-indefinitely))

(main)

Then in a Terminal type

telnet 127.0.0.1 5000

type something and then return.

You should see:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
sdj
sdj
ok!

Now comment out the call to "loop-indefinitely" in the (main)
function. If you try the telnet again it will not work...

This is not the case in the MingW (WinXP) versions.

It seems I cannot start a tcp-server in a thread and still get the
read-eval-print loop.
Anybody can help?

Thank you,
Francois Magnan