[gambit-list] Adding engineering notation support?

Guillaume Cartier gcartier at jazzscheme.org
Fri May 11 18:55:43 EDT 2007

Hi Shawn,

I am pretty sure Gambit's readtable can do what you want. Others will be
better able than me on explaining them...

The point I wanted to make is that one of Scheme / Lisp's greatest
strength is it's ability to treat code as data and reason about code
itself. If you extend the reader, then many great tools out there (code
analyzer, cross-references builders, ...) will not be able to work on
your Scheme code as they rely on Scheme's uniform read syntax.
Personally I try to have syntaxes than match the domain I'm working on
but that are still plain-old lisp. An example for html: (<html> (<head>)
(<body> (<p> "Hello world")))

Regards,

Guillaume