[gambit-list] Trying to run Emacs with Gambit-C

urrozalf at vcn.bc.ca urrozalf at vcn.bc.ca
Fri Mar 23 16:04:07 EDT 2007

Hello there Scheme gurus, I am trying to run Gambit-C and using Emacs as
the editor, but I can't fugure out how to do it. First of all I am running
Solaris 9 on an old Sun box. I have downloaded the Gambit files and the
Emacs files, expanded and made both of them. At the beginning I was having
some issues with the PATH, but I have that fixed right now. I can use the
Gambit Interpreter (gsi) and the compiler (gsc). The problem is, I have to
use a separate text editor, to edit the files, and here is where I wan to
use Emacs.

What I have right now, is the following structure
/export/home/alfonso/MyPrograms/Gambit-C/  and also
/export/home/alfonso/MyProgrmas/Emacs/

I also know, that I have this, somewhere else on the hard drive:
/usr/local/Gambit-C/

I don't know, how it got there, but there it is.
I created an .emacs file, 0n /export/home/alfonso/ which contains the
following:
(autoload 'gambit-inferior-mode "gambit" "Hook Gambit mode into
cmuscheme.")
(autoload 'gambit-mode "gambit" "Hool Gambit mode into scheme.")
(add-hook 'inferior-scheme-mode-hook (function gambit-inferior-mode))
(add-hook 'scheme-mode-hook (function gambit-mode))
(setq scheme-program-name "gsi -:d-")
(setq load-path
  (cons "/usr/local/Gambit-C/share/emacs/site-lisp" load-path))
(setq scheme-program-name "/tmp/gsi -:d-")
(setq gambit-highlight-color "gray")
(setq ganbit-repl-command-prefix "-e")
(require 'gambit)

When I type emacs, open the editor, but it tell me, there is an error, if
I remove the (require 'gambit) line and do 'M-x run-scheme' it tells me
there is an error also.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, or what I am missing, please help me
to figure out this problem, I know I am pretty close, but no cigar.

If I can't figure this thing out, I will have to go and dowmload PLT
scheme, for UNix, and give it a try.

Thanks.

Alfonso G. Urroz