[gambit-list] Gambit's Linking Model

Guillaume Cartier gcartier at jazzscheme.org
Wed Jun 13 17:36:54 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, I think I have stumbled upon a major problem for my
project with the linking model of Gambit / Scheme's lack of
specification for linking code.

For my applications I absolutly need the ability to be able to load code
selectively. If I understand correctly, the Gambit linking model is that
all classes compiled into a .exe are loaded upon launching the .exe so
that cannot do for me.

The only alternative I see is the use of .o1 loadable code but is it
reasonable to dynamically load like 1000+ .o1 files? Wouldn't launching
incur a huge penalty in speed / space vs a selfcontained .exe as every
.o1 is a full fleged dynamic library? Also, with this approach,
distributing to my clients a folder containing 1000 .o1 files is
everything but nice. I could zip them together a bit like interpreted
languages like Python do but then I don't think Windows or Gambit or ...
can load .o1 files from a zip directly so I'd have to unzip them to a
temp folder which is again not very tempting.

Any help / thoughts really appreciated. This is criticaly for my using
Gambit for my project.

Thanks,

Guillaume