[gambit-list] Nintendo DS Gambit Port

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Mon Jan 15 16:10:50 EST 2007

Charles Scheme wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found out about the DS Gambit port after a Google search lead me to the
> gambit-list.  I downloaded the file, but I'm sure how to get it working.  I
> have a R4 Slot-1 card, which works with other homebrew software.  Any
> ideas?  Thanks.

Short answer: the .nds file you have probably does not have a libfat
compatible with the R4.

Long answer:

Well, it has escaped into the wild, huh?  That's both kinda cool and
kinda scary.

Given that the DS Gambit port is both my fault ;) and pretty embryonic
at this point, let me try to give you some advice:

1) How are you at compiling up DS software?  Given the pre-alpha quality
of the port, you really need to be able to compile things.  Practically
everything I use for the DS is from CVS versions (for various bug
related reasons, although a new devkitARM is due "any day now"), and I
use SCons and Mercurial (both of which require Python).  My environment
is OS X, but I expect any Unix-like environment will probably work
without much change.  SCons should adapt itself to a Windows environment
but that is completely untested.

2) DS Gambit requires the ability to use libfat for the moment.  Is
there a libfat driver for the R4 and how new is it?  I'm pretty sure
that the libfat I'm using is old enough that it won't have that driver.

3) To use Wifi, you have to be able to use sgstair's wifi library.  If
you can run his wifi lib test, then you should be good to go.  If not,
then you will need to help debug that.  Some of the newer DSLite models
seem to be having Wifi problems.

Okay, so, if you're ready for that, then send me a direct email off-list
and I will point you at my mercurial repository and you can pull a copy.

Thanks,
-a