[gambit-list] open-tcp-client behavior

schemeway at sympatico.ca schemeway at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 19 12:49:33 EST 2007

François,

> I am currently working on a multi-platform project and I stumbled on
> a difference in the behavior of open-tcp-client between MacOSX and
> Windows (MinGW)  using Gambit-C 4.0 beta20. The difference occurs
> when I open a connection to an address where no server is running and
> try to read from it. In MacOSX I get an exception and in Windows I
> get an infinite loop.

I noticed this behaviour too a few days ago (on Cygwin).

If you set a timeout on the input connection, read-line returns #!eof instead of throwing an exception. That's misleading. I think the correct behaviour would be for open-tcp-client to throw an exception, not wait until read-line is called.

Dominique