[gambit-list] What's in a name?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat Aug 18 12:16:30 EDT 2007

Harold Ancell wrote:
>> I also like the ring of "The Language Formerly Known As Scheme" (perhaps
>> because I love Monty Python).
>
> As do I.  And if any group of people should provide the name for
> this ... silly walk? ... it should be them.

I have problems with using Monty Python as source material in computing:

1. The Python language pretty much got all the good ones: the language
name itself, IDEs called Eric and Idle, etc.

2. The Parrot virtual machine for dynamic languages also derives from
Monty Python, the "dead parrot" sketch to be precise.

3. I'm probably the only person that's been in computing for a serious
length of time that hasn't *seen* most of Monty Python. :) I just
happened to be somewhere else when all that happened in one of those
periods in my life when I didn't watch television.